Monday, 20 July 2026

SERMON 237 - SUNDAY 19 JULY 2026 - TRINITY 7 / RURAL COMMUNITIES CELEBRATION

 Sermon at All Saints’s Church Parish Church, Whiteparish – 7th Sunday after Trinity – Sunday 19th July 2026

Ruth 2:4-12;  Matthew 5:14-16,

May I speak in the Name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit and may these words of yours be a joy and blessing to all who hear them. Amen

[This Sermon is split into to 2 short homilies or reflections – one on each of the readings as part of the Celebration of Rural Community Sunday in praise of all those who provide a Christian presence in the village of Whiteparish].

Ruth 2:4-12

This passage from the wonderful Old Testament story of Ruth was chosen specifically for today’s service because it has a rural theme and beautifully illustrates a healthy rural community.  It is particularly appropriate as we are now, here in rural Wiltshire, in the middle of an early harvest with the air full of the dust from the combine harvesters as they gather up the cereal grains.  We can so easily, therefore, take ourselves back to those days described in the Old Testament passage in rural Bethlehem at the beginning of the barley harvest.

However, first, a quick reminder of where this passage fits in with the whole story of Ruth. Naomi, together with her husband and two sons living in Bethlehem, had left that rural town a number of years earlier, when the land was struck with a terrible famine, and went to Moab.  Whilst there, her two sons married Moabite women but both the sons and her husband died there in Moab.  Naomi decided to return to her homeland and home town of Bethlehem taking with her, one of her Moabite daughters-in-law, Ruth (the other daughter-in-law stayed in Moab).  Ruth, not being a Jew, was therefore an alien, a foreigner, a stranger back in Bethlehem.

We learn that Naomi had a kinsman, Boaz, in Bethlehem who took pity and compassion on her and Ruth and gave strict instructions to his workers to let the women glean from his field and not to molest the women – giving them opportunity not only to glean barley for their own needs but a bit extra to sell and have a comfortable lifestyle whilst under his protection.  As we know, later on, Boaz married Ruth, had children and in due course their descendants were Kind David and through Joseph, Jesus.

The moral for us today is that we should notice vulnerable newcomers into our community and make them feel welcome. Recently, for example, I know that here, and in several other villages in our Deanery, we have welcomed many Ukrainian families to share with us in our homes, meals and churches. You have shown true Christian hospitality.  It also reminds us to care for and protect others behind the scenes who work untiringly and often “unsung” to provide that welcome and protection.  The story of Ruth is a lesson and a blessing to all, especially in these smaller communities, and I heartily recommend you read the whole book – it’s only 4 chapters! There are so many examples of humility, love and compassion to be found there.

 

Matthew 5:14-16

Following on from my short homily on Ruth, our gospel reading this morning takes the theme of goodness and hospitality further. In this passage, which is part of His great Sermon on the Mount, Jesus is telling the Crowds attending that as followers of Him they are “the light of the world”.  This pronouncement is coupled, in the same section of the Sermon as his proclamation that they are also “salt of the earth” meaning, in metaphor, that they give taste to an otherwise bland and tasteless world.

This reading, therefore, directly underpins the theme of our previous two readings reminding us that small, local acts of goodness, such as hospitality and friendliness towards others, especially those who are different from ourselves, have an immense, illuminating impact on rural life.

When I first thought of moving into the rural environment of Winterslow in 1999, after living in Brighton, London, Liverpool and being brought up in a large northern town, I was struck by the wonderful friendliness of those in the village and especially in the church – so much so that I still live in rural Wiltshire some 27 years on and have no intention of leaving.  I have experienced much salt and light from those church communities here in our Deanery.

I would like to share one thought, though, which I had, when I first read those words in Jesus’s sermon – how do we actually shine that light out?  What is it that we must do? At the time I first came to Wiltshire my own life was in a state of brokenness and change; and during my time here there have been many occasions when I have felt broken and not able to shine out any light.

Then I went to the Christian conference (Spring Harvest) where this topic was discussed. It was as though Jesus himself was talking to me. From memory the speaker was Jeff Lucas, who wrote a wonderful book entitled “There are no Strong People” who reminded us that most of us, especially Christians, are broken or, as he put it, we are like “cracked pots” – not “crack pots” I hastened to add although sometimes I’m not so sure. But, if we have the light of Christ within us, if we have what Jesus called the light of the world then even though we feel unworthy or unholy or whatever, that light will still shine through those cracks and sometimes, because we are cracked, the light will shine through those narrow cracks with even more intensity. By following Jesus we can shine that light by the way we act, speak and treat others in our community and the world at large.

 

Amen                                                                                                MFB/237/16072026

No comments:

Post a Comment